If you are a property manager or owner of a building that is taller than a few stories, chances are you are equipped with at least one elevator. It’s smart to keep up with regular maintenance on your elevator so it isn’t as likely to break down.
There are many disadvantages that come with a broken elevator, so you should do all you can to avoid them. Here’s a look at a few:
- Loss of Convenience: The loss of convenience to your tenants, clients, customers and employees is perhaps the biggest disadvantage when it comes to a broken elevator. Now, they will have to walk up and down stairs if they even can (some high rises can reach hundreds of floors, in which case walking the stairs is not feasible). Your physically challenged patrons won’t be able to access convenient passenger transportation either. As a result, you’ll be flooded with service calls from angry tenants and clients. Apartment tenants may simply be inconvenienced as they arrive to or from home, but clients in a large city building may be extra angry because they are missing out on productivity due to missed meetings, etc.
- Lack of safety: When your elevator is broken, you force people to seek other modes of transportation to get where they need to go, mainly the stairs. This could lead to injury. If you have a malfunctioning elevator that works sporadically and no one knows it, you may be putting your passengers at risk every time they step into the cab.
- Litigation and Liability: Common issues, such as problems with levelling, can pose tripping hazards and therefore possible medical bills forwarded to you. You may even find yourself on the receiving end of lawsuits created in more serious accidents.
- Failure to comply: If your elevator isn’t properly maintained and you get a surprise visit from the inspector, you may fail the inspection. This will cost you money because you may have to pay a fine in addition to fixing the issue, on top of all the inconvenience you have just posed to all your passengers.
- Peace of mind: Knowing your elevators are working properly through general maintenance and compliance requirements gives you peace of mind in daily operation. Lessen your stress level by staying on top of regular upkeep and addressing problems as they come up rather than waiting until a bigger problem occurs that could result in injury or high repair bills.
Call Mowrey Elevator for repairs or installation today. Boasting more than 40 years of experience, we are your first choice for elevator maintenance and repair.