If you are a property manager of a building with elevators, at some point you will be faced with the prospect of upgrading your system to modernize your offerings. This is for safety as well as comfort and convenience.
So, what exactly is elevator modernization? Also known as elevator lift replacement, this involves the complete upgrading of your elevator’s mechanical equipment. Typically, this involves installing or retrofitting new equipment, and often focuses on heavily-used parts such as the controller equipment, hoist machinery, motors and electrical components. However, modernization doesn’t necessarily mean you need an aesthetic makeover – you can modernize your elevator without a change in appearance.
Importance of Elevator Modernization
Elevator modernization ensures the safety of your passengers, plus it makes the elevators themselves faster, more efficient, and able to tap into modern technology. When it comes to “smart” building automation systems, modernization can be synced up to other smart systems so everything works together. And of course, modernization can give your elevators a much-needed facelift if your building is old.
Frequency of Modernization
How often you modernize or upgrade your commercial elevator will depend on many factors, such as:
- The manufacturer of the elevator.
- How well it’s been maintained over the years.
- How heavily it has been used.
- What the working conditions are.
Most elevators last about 20 years, but there is a lot of fluctuation in that number. Some can last up to 50 years, while others need service after just 10 years.
How Do You Know it’s Time to Modernize?
If your elevators have been breaking down frequently, or you’re getting lots of complaints for long wait times, or the equipment looks and acts old, it’s time to modernize. The only way to know for sure is to have an elevator repair professional visit for an inspection.
Other signs you’re ready to modernize include:
- It’s unclear if your elevators are still in compliance with safety and code standards.
- You can’t remember the last time your elevators were updated.
- Passenger complaints are becoming more and more frequent.
- Passenger wait times are too long, and passengers’ needs simply aren’t being accommodated.
- Passengers tell you they hear strange noises in the cabs, or they alert you to uneven floor levels or discomfort when in the unit.
- The approved zoning and use of the building is different than when the elevator was installed way back when.
- Your elevator is overcrowded and small.
- It requires frequent repairs.
- It’s reducing your property or rental values.
In the end, elevators must be regularlyupdated so they can stay up to code on safety and compliance. Plus, modernization makes for a more efficient and attractive system so your building can command a higher property value and higher tenant satisfaction rates. When you take steps to enhance a rider’s experience, you boost customer satisfaction rates because passengers can be assured of reaching their destination quickly and reliably.
Call Mowrey Elevator if you need help outfitting your new elevator or are in need of any repair and maintenance services.